Live facilitated with the instructor
The 6-session (24 hour total) medication administration course is the foundation of successful medication administration. It is a review of pharmacology and the current drug classifications and drug actions related to disease processes as well as laboratory results. Students will learn the mathematical skills required to calculate medication doses.
This course will also focus on the practical part of administering medication. Students will have the opportunity to apply the theory and to practice medication administration in a simulated environment. Students will also review the nursing standards of medication administration, legal aspects and safe medication practices. The learning format of the course includes lecture, discussion of clinical case scenarios, and skills practice out of class assignments. Acquiring the knowledge and skills in the delivery of safe medication will enable the students to critically appraise their self-confidence in the administration of safe medications to their clients.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1) Identify nursing scope of practice and how they are linked to standards of medication administration
2) Understand the drug classifications and drug actions related to disease processes in the Central Nervous System,Respiratory,Cardiac,GI and Endocrine system
3) Discuss the concepts of nursing process and how it relates to medication administration
4) Apply mathematical skills to calculate medication doses
5) Identify the different routes of medication administration
6) Identify the purposes for the delivery of safe medications
7) Describe strategies to prevent medication errors
8) Apply techniques in reconstituting solutions and parenteral medications
9) Perform demonstration of clinical skills in the preparation of IV parenteral medications
10) Describe the techniques to prevent needle stick injury
Course Dates: August 17, 24, 31, September 7, 14, 21, 2022 (Wednesday)
Price: $600 includes course workbook Please note: this course will require pre-class preparation of at least 4-6hrs. There will be a total two pre-class assignments that will be due at the beginning of the class and a comprehensive in class exam. Students must obtain a passing grade of 70% on all assignments and the final test to pass this course and to receive the certificate of completion.
©2013 HCPT All Rights Reserved
Would you like to recieve future e-mail from HCPT about course discounts and information *